What is the role of the modern day side hustle? Should it be an easy way to make extra money? How much energy should you put into it? Side hustles no longer need to be a means to an end, instead they can be a source of joy, passion and real sustainability.
Here are 11 potential side hustles that will combine your true interests with an extra line of income.
- The world’s oldest profession is childcare, right? It’s easy and fun (arguable, yes). Depending on the kid, it’s very low maintenance work. Feed them, turn on Sesame Street, and relax…Elmo will take care of the rest. This hustle is perfect for students or anyone with part time jobs. You set your schedule and it require as little as a few hours a week. Whatever the case, you’re the boss. Build a short list of clients, charge the average price based on the state you live in, and voila, you have a profitable business that can last for years. The payoff: ~$15/hours (scale based on number of kids) /Apps to use: Zum, Urbansitter, Care.com
- Yes, the world of smartphones has made us all photographers. However, if you have an eye for capturing the perfect image or just a way with IG filters, than think about monetizing on that craft. People still want professional pictures because let’s face it, an iPhone can’t always do the trick when it comes to special moments. While the initial costs might be high (buying a quality camera), the future returns are worth it. Use visual social media accounts to market your craft and bookings will roll in. The payoff: depends on your rates, ~$50-$100/hr (imo)
- Ideally, we are at our best when we are most productive. So put your free time to good, profitable use. Run other people’s errands for money. We live in a sharing economy and you’d be crazy not to take advantage of it. Again, with this hustle, be your own boss. Sign up for TaskRabbit and decide when you want to work and what you want to do. Take on as many or as few tasks as you want. The payoff: ~$2,000/week…That’s a lot, right? Well hop to your first task!
- Like TaskRabbit, companies such as Lyft and Uber embrace our modern day, sharing culture and economy. Do you have a car? Sign up to drive for a ride sharing company. Even if you don’t have a reliable set of wheels, most companies will allow you to rent or lease a car for a fair price. Again, YOU set your hours. On top of that, your car is your workplace. You can truly be your most authentic self and get paid for it. With this hustle, to make a decent amount, be tenacious and a good driver (nothing’s worse than a poor driver review). The payoff: ~$20/hour
- I love AirBnB! When I travel to a new place, my typical worry is sticking to a reasonable budget while I’m there. With AirBnb, however, I save about 3/4ths of what I would spend on a hotel room. Instead of $175/night, I find decent spaces (with all amenities) for $50-70. AirBnB finds are simply amazing! Join in on this movement. If you have an extra room(s) in your home, list them on the AirBnB site. You’re not using it, so what do you have to lose, right? Plus, depending on price, ambiance and location, you can make money every day of the month. The payoff: varies based on the factors listed above
- Does everyone compliment your baked mac and cheese? Do you consider yourself to be a master baker or chef, at home? Monopolize on those talents. Set a menu of your best recipes and sell your art to family and friends. Social media is your oyster…take advantage of it! Choose delicious visuals and make frequent posts on Instagram and Facebook. Build and expand your client list, and you will have the start of a fruitful business. The payoff: Varies
- I believe that dogs are our spirit animals. If you do too, then start a small, dog walking (general pet care) business. This venture will give you the opportunity to interact with as many warm, fuzzy animals as you want. The needs for pet owners are endless. Because of the daily grind that we all endure, someone might hire you to feed his cat, or give her dog their meds. Whatever the need, there is a market here. Start in your local neighborhood (targeting people you know) and provide common services (like walking, sitting or check-ins). The payoff: ~13.50/hour /Apps to use: Wag! and Rover
- Knowing how to clean and organize stuff is a talent that should be treasured. Personally, after a long week at work, the last thing I want to do is spend my Saturday cleaning. Hence, I am 100% willing to pay someone else to do it, and I’m sure that many others feel the same way. So if you got it, flaunt it! Become a professional cleaner and/or organizer. Establish your reputation (do odd jobs, market through word of mouth) and you can get paid for doing something you love. The payoff: can be ~$40-50/hour / Apps: Merry Maids or Alfred
- Everyone has a soundtrack to their life. Don’t you want to be the person that plays the songs that make up that soundtrack? DJing will allow you to do this. Take your love for music and spread that love to the masses. This particular hustle poses an important barrier to entry – buying equipment, but once you have that, then the gigs will follow. In the meantime, use your smartphone and make fire playlists. Get the crowd pumped and your pockets will thank you! The payoff: Varies based on venue
- The advent of the internet and social media has allowed everyone to be a professional at something. In this case, blogs and content are everywhere. Do you love to write or edit? Become a freelance writer. Contribute to your favorite blog. This will allow you to build your reputation and ability as a writer. Once your writing improves, find freelance gigs and put your researcher cap on. You will make money, while doing what you love. Essentially, be our generation’s Carrie Bradshaw (or Khadijah James). The payoff: Varies
- Life events like weddings, proms, graduations and even, day to day happenings, all have one thing in common. Women (and men) need someone to get their hair and makeup on fleek. If you have a knack for that, then consider getting paid for these services. This is a side hustle that will never go unneeded. Determine what services you want to provide and market, market, MARKET! Use social media (especially instagram) to visually showcase your skills. This will drive your clientele and make your hustle, a thriving one. The payoff: $35-50/ client